Can I apply for a visa myself?

No. In most cases you will not be able to apply for a long-term student visa yourself. KCP will need to initiate the process on your behalf.

In order for a student to receive a student visa, a school needs to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility from the Immigration Bureau. If the application is successful, the Immigration Bureau will send the students Certificate of Eligibility to the school. Once the school receives 2 terms’ worth of payment, this Certificate is sent to the student. The student will take this document to a local Japanese Consulate that services the region where the student lives, and the Consulate will provide the student with the visa.